Posted by: ElliptiGO Girl | January 1, 2009

New Years ’09 – or how I learned it is a bad idea to buy expired fruit salad and then eat it.

Just got back from the New Years 5K. Or, more literally,  just emerged from the bathroom, having arrived home from the New Years 5K about 5 minutes ago. The toilet and I have been close buddies for the past 8 hours. Very, very close. Our longest separation was this morning, during the run.

Yesterday, I bought some fruit salad from a local supermarket at a huge discount – reduced from $11.99 to $2.99. The date was about to expire. I thought it would be a great addition to the snacks I planned to put out for the family New Year’s Eve countdown. Lots of carbs for me, pre-race. And such a deal.

I served the fruit, along with an assortment of other goodies. The fruit tasted a bit “off” – somewhat sour/bitter-ish. I added some sweetener. Still, no one else seemed to care for it. So, little by little, I consumed the entire thing. All by myself.

Note to self :  That was a very stupid idea.

Went to bed shortly after midnight. Woke up 3:30am, feeling like I needed to  vomit. Stifled the urge. Then the cramps hit. Finally got out of bed around 5am.  From there on, I was on the toilet waaay more than off it. Lovely.

Hal woke up at 6:15am, and proceeded to get ready for the race. At 6:50am (5 minutes past our pre- planned “depart from home” time) I was still on the toilet – and not sure I dared leave my new “closest buddy”.  Hal and I finally managed to leave the house around 7. Forget pre-race nutrition/hydration – I didn’t dare try anything to eat or drink except a little watered-down OJ, which I sipped verrry slowly. (by race start, I only had consumed a total of 6 ounces)

Four more trips to a bathroom, a short trial warm-up, and the race started. I began to run, not sure how long I would last.

Maggie passed me, offering kind, supportive words. (I had shared with her my dubious race state prior to the race.)  Joe Howell and his cohorts passed me – I decided to do “the parasite thing” and draft off them.

That turned out to be a very good strategy (Thanks, Joe!)  I tuned out everything except Joe’s regular footsteps. Ran at what felt like an easy pace. The main physical symptom I was aware of was a pervasive, low-level nagging nausea that threatened to get worse if I pushed it. So I just hung on.


Finally, less than  .5 miles left. I picked up my pace a bit. The nausea started to build. But, surprisingly – considering how I hadn’t eaten anything, and had had “the trots” for several hours by that time – my energy level was fine. Even almost kicked the finish.  Felt kind of sick after the race – and the cramps came back – so Hal took me home.  Didn’t get to watch the 10K finishers or stay for the raffle.

So my time wasn’t a PR.  Not even under the 7 minute per mile pace.  But I achieved my first negative split ever. And I will never, ever buy discounted, ready to expire fruit salad again.  So – now – back to the bathroom I go.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: